Senior Design Technologist
The Company You’ll Join
Carta is a platform that helps people manage equity, build businesses, and invest in the companies of tomorrow. Our mission is to create more owners.
Carta is trusted by more than 30,000 companies and over half a million employees in nearly 150 countries to manage cap tables, compensation, and valuations. Carta also supports over 5,000 funds representing over $100B in assets under administration with their venture capital solutions. Carta’s liquidity solutions have returned $13B to shareholders in secondary transactions. Today Carta’s platform manages over two trillion dollars in equity for nearly two million people globally. Companies and funds like Canva, Tribe, and Pipe build their businesses on Carta.
The company has been included on the Forbes World’s Best Cloud Companies, Fast Company's Most Innovative list, and Inc.’s Fastest-Growing Private Companies. We’ve also been recognized as a 2023 Built In Best Place to Work in the U.S. and a Muse VIBE Award winner in the Vacation and Time Off category.
For more information about our offices and culture, check out our Carta careers page.
The Team You’ll Work With
You’ll be joining our ink Design Systems team as a Senior Design Technologist.
The ink team is a mix of Design Technologists, Visual Designers, and Front End Engineers that are passionate about great design, great engineering, UI and design systems. We are a tightly knit team solving problems together, and we love to live in code, geek out about pixels for a bit, then discuss typography best practices for another bit, while pushing code to production every day.
Design Technologists on the ink team merge design and engineering skills to improve our ink design system. We also provide help and support to Product Designers and Engineers from other teams, and show them how to extract maximum value from the system. And we have trained eyes to identify future Product teams’ needs, and use that to inform our future roadmap.
The ink design system is used by all teams at Carta. That means any improvements we ship are felt by all internal teams, and all Carta customers. From one end, we have tremendous access and power to influence the product design experience, and the front end engineering experience, and from the other end we define the Carta experience for customers using our products.
The Problems You’ll Solve
How can Carta build great products, fast, and at scale? We believe our Design System, ink, to be a powerful tool to allow Carta to scale gracefully, without tech debt, while delivering a great experience at the same time.
As a Design Technologist on the ink team, you will:
- Curate, improve, and reinvent our ink components
- Are proficient coding with HTML, CSS, React, TypeScript, git, and styled-components
- Participate in the creation of user interfaces, including iterative prototyping with the ink design system, keeping industry best practices in mind
- Bridge the gap between Product Design and Engineering by coding front end components and interactions, pushing code to production and reviewing pull requests
- Show a deep care for visual quality and consistency
- Understand the UI, UX, and code problems designers and engineers face
- Explain trade offs between front end technical implementations
- Advocate for the ink design system, articulate the benefits of a systematic approach, persuade Product Management, Product Design, and Engineering across Carta to embrace ink
- Write detailed documentation with code examples for our ink design system
- Identify opportunities to scale the ink design system and actively participate in defining new patterns, build new components, and promote their adoption
- Participate in design reviews to give and receive feedback on the team’s ideas
- You are someone who is passionate about design and coding. You show a deep care for visual quality in your work. You are a visual communicator, yet enjoy living in code. You are a problem solver who understands the best design is a consequence of the best understanding of the context. You are able to articulate visual and technical requirements back and forth between stakeholders from different departments and disciplines, and you enjoy working within the constraints of a system, and advocate for its benefits for the company as a whole.
Carta’s compensation package includes a market competitive salary, equity for all full time roles, exceptional benefits, and, for applicable roles, commissions plans. Our minimum cash compensation range for this role is:
- $144,500 - $170,000 in New York, San Francisco, Santa Clara
- $130,050 - $153,000 in Seattle
Final offers may vary from the amount listed based on geography, candidate experience and expertise, and other factors.
Something looks off?