Director of Engineering, Venture Capital
The Company You’ll Join
Carta is a platform that helps people manage equity, build businesses, and invest in the companies of tomorrow. Our mission is to unlock the power of equity ownership for more people in more places.
Carta is trusted by more than 40,000 companies and over two billion people in nearly 160 countries to manage cap tables, compensation, and valuations. Carta also supports nearly 7,000 funds and SPVs, and represents nearly $130B in assets under administration. Carta’s liquidity solutions have returned $15B to shareholders in secondary transactions. Today, Carta’s platform manages nearly three trillion dollars in equity globally.
Companies and funds like Tribe and Pipe build their businesses on Carta. The company has been included on the Forbes World’s Best Cloud Companies, Fast Company's Most Innovative list, and Inc.’s Fastest-Growing Private Companies. We’ve also been recognized as a 2023 Built In Best Place to Work in the U.S., a Muse VIBE Award winner in the Vacation and Time Off category and certified as a Great Place to Work.
For more information about our offices and culture, check out our Carta careers page.
The Team You’ll Work With
You’ll be leading Carta’s engineering efforts in expanding our growing Venture Capital business into the European market.
You’ll be working with a talented group of business leaders, product managers, designers, and engineers. These teams have already helped build Carta’s Venture Capital business in the United States, and we’re looking for you to help replicate our success in new markets.
Within your business unit, Venture Capital (VC), you’ll meet teammates of all experience levels and backgrounds, passionate about creating software that unlocks more owners. You’ll find teammates with deep levels of pride in what they do, and a customer-obsessiveness that is furthered by regular feedback cycles. Importantly, you’ll find a higher than “normal” level of transparency, trust and autonomy - something Cartans (Carta employees) have celebrated since the earliest days of the startup.
The Problems You’ll Solve
We know a lot about the VC space in the United States – it’ll be your job to help us learn and launch new products in the European and UK spaces.
On VC, we are migrating an entire service industry - Fund Administration - into software. Venture Capitalists and Fund Managers use Fund Administrators to help operate their investment funds. The existing, service-based solutions are expensive, inefficient, and prone to human error – think humans wrangling spreadsheets. With the introduction of Carta’s event-based accounting platform, Carta is (and you are) positioned to unseat the incumbents, and revolutionize this industry through software.
We’re looking for someone rare in this role, and we’re willing to take our time to find this person. Ideally, you’re a human, but we’ll avoid making any qualifications on your species. Instead, we’ll talk about what inspires us about you:
- You want to be very involved with roles beyond engineering: product, design, business, and more. You want to understand customer needs and help decide what we build, and what we do not build.
- You can operate independently while considering the broader impact of what you’re building.
- You care deeply about software and the leverage that software brings. You can use your past experience building software to show your team the way in which they can improve our customer’s leverage.
- You are energized by, and capable of, super-charging the careers of those that report to you. You’ve been able to help mentor more junior engineers, and support more senior engineers in reaching their potential. You’ve directly managed teams for at least 3 years.
- You are willing and capable of getting in the trenches alongside your fellow engineers and reports. You lead by example, and take pride in your work.
- You are exceptionally technical. You can describe complex ideas simply. You are just as capable working toward a long-term road map as you are jumping into a fire to solve a customer’s problem 5 minutes from now.
- You are as hungry to learn about our customers and business as you are about the latest stack or Docker release.