Director of Product Management, Fund Admin
The Company You’ll Join
Carta is a platform that helps people manage equity, build businesses, and invest in the companies of tomorrow. Our mission is to unlock the power of equity ownership for more people in more places.
Carta is trusted by more than 40,000 companies and over two million people in nearly 160 countries to manage cap tables, compensation, and valuations. Carta also supports nearly 7,000 funds and SPVs, and represents nearly $130B in assets under administration. Carta's tender offer solutions have returned $14B to shareholders in secondary transactions. Today, Carta’s platform manages nearly three trillion dollars in equity globally.
Companies and funds like Tribe and Pipe build their businesses on Carta. The company has been included on the Forbes World’s Best Cloud Companies, Fast Company's Most Innovative list, and Inc.’s Fastest-Growing Private Companies. We’ve also been recognized as a 2023 Built In Best Place to Work in the U.S., a Muse VIBE Award winner in the Vacation and Time Off category and certified as a Great Place to Work.
For more information about our offices and culture, check out our Carta careers page.
The Problems You’ll Solve
Since 2018, we’ve been working hard to transform Fund Administration from a services business into a software business. The industry today functions by small teams manually stitching data together across accounting systems, excel, emails, and PDFs. This is slow, error prone, and hard to scale. We believe the future is that fund back offices should have their data available in the cloud, in real time, with 100% accuracy, and with service that can scale as they grow. We manage over $130B in assets in our fund admin platform today for the world’s top Venture and Private Equity investors who believe the same.
If we are successful, we also believe we will elevate the role of fund accountants from a busy worker requiring close oversight to a strategic advisor that is value add to clients. This means less effort from fund managers to start and run a fund- more spent on fundraising, investment theses, and getting deals done.
We’ve spent years laying the necessary infrastructure to enable this shift from services to software: We launched our own proprietary general ledger and framework “Event-Based Accounting”. We’ve automated the nitty gritty parts of the business like LP Allocations, Waterfalls, Capital Calls, and Management Fees.
The challenge now is to orchestrate all of this infrastructure, automation, and our service team to create a delightful client experience. We need to make each client task flow through our system seamlessly so the work is done quickly and accurately no matter who or what is required.
Key problems you’ll be responsible for answering:
- How do we leverage our teams and automation to ship financial statements faster than anyone in the industry and at scale?
- How realtime can we make our data? What needs to change upstream in our business or in the industry to go even faster?
- Can we improve audit and tax season? Can we shift the paradigm from only being audit ready each year end to being audit ready every day?
- How do we create delightful experiences that shift market behavior from interacting with their admin over email to using software?
- How do we ensure that no matter which team member works on a client issue that the experience is seamless with all context and institutional knowledge applied every step of the way?
The Team You’ll Work With
This role is on our Delivery & Orchestration team within the Carta Fund Admin organization and serves as one of the 3 leaders of the “trifecta” that together set the vision, strategy, and execution. The org is made up of over 100 passionate and driven people in R&D, delivery, and GTM. This is a team that ships fast, cares deeply about their customers, and isn’t afraid to make bold decisions. What the team needs now is a leader who can help mold a portfolio of semi connected features, infrastructure, and people into a cohesive and delightful experience that scales to all of our clients. This is also a team with incredible talent in need of a leader that can coach and push them to unlock their full potential.
- You operate as an owner. No work or problem is below or above your pay grade. You can strike the right balance between empowering others and doing what needs to be done.
- You have a high bar for “good”. You know when to say something isn’t good enough and hold everyone around you to a high standard.
- Systems thinker. You can breakdown complex processes and systems into simple models. Fund Admin is both wide and deep. The ability to simplify and reason about this as a system is critical.
- You are curious. You love to go deep on problems, with customers, or with engineers. Your curiosity leads you to places where others stop short.
- You are empathetic and willing with live in the trenches with your customers.
- You are a great coach and can help nurture and grow your product team.
- You have perseverance to withstand the ups and downs of a scaling business. You maintain belief you can solve even the hardest problems.
Carta’s compensation package includes a market competitive salary, equity for all full time roles, exceptional benefits, and, for applicable roles, commissions plans. Our minimum cash compensation (salary + commission if applicable) range for this role is:
- $225,000 - $300,000 in [San Francisco, CA; Santa Clara, CA; New York, NY]
- $202,000 - $270,000 in [Seattle, WA]
Final offers may vary from the amount listed based on geography, candidate experience and expertise, and other factors.
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing a positive interview experience for every candidate. If accommodations due to a disability or medical condition are needed, connect with us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. As a company, we value fairness, helpfulness, transparency, leadership and build our teams around these values. Check out our careers page to get to know us better as you think about your next step at Carta.